Search Upcoming Events
Our searchable event list includes only events with fixed start and end dates. For a list of destinations and events that are open year-round, or that repeat regularly throughout the year, check out our Ongoing Events.
- This event has passed.
Cancer League’s Race for Research
August 19, 2018
Cancer League of Colorado will present the 22nd Annual Race for Research, a 5K run/walk on Sunday, August 19, 2018 in Denver’s Washington Park.
The Race for Research is held each year in memory of Michele Plachy-Rubin, a young wife, mother and kindergarten teacher who was diagnosed with brain cancer in 1996. Michele’s family and friends founded the Race for Research in an effort to raise money for cancer research. Sadly, Michele lost her fight with cancer in 1998, but the race lives on as an opportunity for people of all ages to celebrate her legacy and to fight cancer in Colorado. The Race for Research is one of four annual fundraisers for the Cancer League of Colorado, a 100% volunteer-run non-profit organization that funnels all of its fundraising proceeds to cancer research and patient support organizations in Colorado.
This fun and family-oriented event features:
• Over 1,100 runners and walkers for the timed 5K loop around Washington Park
• A post-race Expo where race sponsors interact directly with participants
• A free pancake breakfast
• A free local craft beer garden sponsored by Bristol Brewing
• Trophies for the top three male and female runners and medals for the top finishers in various age categories
• A Kid Zone with games, clowns and a kiddie train
• Traveling trophies and prizes for the largest teams
• The Morton Publishing Miracle Mile, with posters along the race route honoring individuals whose lives have been impacted by cancer
• Live music with the band Look Both Ways
• A race t-shirt with registration
• Mascots from Denver’s professional sports teams
The 2018 Race for Research Honoree is Stephen Estrada, a colo-rectal cancer survivor. You will want to meet Stephen, who was only in his late twenties when he was diagnosed and hear about his courageous battle. Learn more about what you can do to protect yourself and your family.
Although there is no minimum individual fundraising requirement to participate, we encourage and reward fundraising efforts with prizes for the largest individual and team fundraisers. Would you like to honor a loved one with a poster on our Miracle Mile? Raise a minimum of $150 per posters. For details on fundraising and Miracle Mile posters see www.race4research.com.
Everyone is welcome! To learn more about the race or to register online, go to www.race4research.com .Race-day registration in Washington Park will open at 8 a.m., and the race starts at 9 a.m. Race-day registration fees will be slightly higher, so register now for the best pricing!
For more information contact Holli Hartman holliR4R@gmail.com 303 912-7837 or Lin McHaley at email@example.com or 303-840-9966.