For those considering end-of-year contributions, ColoradoGives.org offers a central location to find Colorado charities based on causes (arts, youth, housing, civil rights, etc), by charity name, keyword or zipcode. In addition it shows each organization’s revenue and expenses, including amount spent on administration and fundraising. It also lists which organizations qualify for Colorado tax credits.
Dec. 9—Colorado Gives Day
The website can be used year round, but on December 9, Colorado Gives Day, all donations will be supplemented by a $1 million incentive fund. The $1 million fund, donated by Community First Foundation and FirstBank, will be distributed to Colorado charities proportionate to the donations they receive on December 9. To qualify for the incentive fund, donations must be made in the 24-hour period starting at 12am Dec. 9.
Now in its fifth year, the Colorado Gives Day program has distributed $58.1 million to Colorado non-profits.
Colorado Tax Credits
For each charity listed at ColoradoGives.org, the “Financials” section shows whether the organization qualifies for tax credits. NOTE: On the screen where the donation amount is entered, donors must check the box at the bottom indicating you’d like the donation to be considered for a tax credit—and organizations set different minimum amounts to be eligible for the tax credits. If you do not receive the tax credit form in the mail, contact the organization to request it. Check with your accountant for more information about Colorado tax credits.
Enterprise Zone Tax Credits (EZ)—The State of Colorado offers a tax credit of 25% for donations to non-profits located in an Enterprise Zone.
Child Care Tax Credits (CC)— The State of Colorado offers a tax credit of 50% for donations to non-profits that are certified as providing child care. However, in 2014, only 75% of the credit may be taken, with the remaining 25% carried over and taken in 2015.
Some of our local charities
Anchor Center for Blind Children—Teaches visually impaired infants, young children and their families. (CC)
Denver Children’s Home—Serves traumatized children and families. 1501 Albion St. (CC)
Summer Scholars—Supports low-income, academically struggling young learners. (CC)
Homelessness & Poverty
Aurora Warms the Night—Serves men, women, and children facing homelessness. 1544 Elmira Street
The Crossing (Denver Rescue Mission)—Provides transitional housing and opportunities to help people to attain self-sufficiency. 6090 Smith Rd (EZ)
The Gathering Place—Daytime drop-in center for women, children, and transgender individuals experiencing poverty or homelessness.1535 High St (EZ, CC)
Food Bank of the Rockies—Serves people who struggle to meet their basic food needs (almost half are children). Every dollar donated provides over five pounds of food.
Learning and Employment
Denver Public Library Friends Foundation—Assists and supports the library to enhance its services (call 720-865-2050 to ask about designating specific programs). (EZ)
Goodwill Industries of Denver—Provides education, career development and employment opportunities to help those in need achieve self-sufficiency. (EZ)
Nature and Outdoors
Bluff Lake Nature Center—Support ongoing environmental education programs; tax credit is available for a capital campaign to improve the lake. (EZ)
Urban Farm—Provides agricultural and environmental education to urban children on a 23-acre farm with more than 250 farm animals.
Sand Creek Regional Greenway (SCRG)—Maintains and improves SCRG trails; Next Generation Partners connects local, at-risk middle and high school students with careers in the natural resource and science fields.